- ½ cup whole black dal (sabut urad)
- 2 tbsp red kidney beans (rajma)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2-inch pieces ginger, chopped and minced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 slit green chilies
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- Your choice of cooking oil
- Pick, wash and soak black dal and red beans overnight in three cups of water. Drain.
- In a pressure cooker, boil red beans and black dal in three cups of water, with salt, half the ginger, and half the red chili powder for three whistles.
- Open the lid and see if the beans are soft, with a mashing consistency. If not, continue cooking on low heat till the beans become totally soft.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they begin to change color, add remaining ginger, garlic and onion, and sauté till golden.
- Add slit green chilies, tomatoes and sauté on high heat. Add the remaining red chili powder and sauté till the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Add the cooked black dal and red beans, along with the cooking liquor.
- Add some water if the mixture is too thick. Add garam masala powder and adjust salt. Simmer on low heat till the dals are totally soft and well blended. Serve hot.